Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Engyoji Shoshazan 円教寺 書写山



04.04Engyoji-1, originally uploaded by sleepytako.
Engyoji is the main temple at Shoshasan a few minutes drive, cable car, and walk north of Himeji Castle. This gorgeous temple is part of the Western Japan 33 temple route and is also famous for being a filming location for "The Last Samurai." I've never seen the film and I don't have any desire to, but it brings in many tourists. The temple and environs are totally worth the beautiful 1km uphill hike from the cable car terminal.

2 comments:

angryparsnip said...

Great photo...
Remember when we were in Tokyo and the tour guide was talking about the movie ? I had to bite my tongue every time she said the the evil jerks name...
I did see parts of the movie and the Japaneses actors were outstanding but the movie was ruined for me by TC.

cheers, parsnip

shinco said...

先日は信州まで来てくれてありがとう!

いつ観ても素晴らしい写真ばかりで驚いてます。
信州の写真のアップも楽しみにしてます。