Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Shiso Pepsi


06.23 ShisoPepsi 1, originally uploaded by sleepytako.

Every summer Pepsi of Japan blesses us with a new wacky, always craptastic flavor, onto the Japanese market. Two years ago it was Ice Cucumber, last year it was something blue. All of the colors of these, ehm, beverages are, to be nice, unique as their flavors. This year it's shiso. If you get take out sushi and there's a plastic leaf in the tray as decoration--that's shiso. Well that's the plastic version of it. If you have had Japanese no-oil dressing, that probably was shiso flavored. If you live in Japan you eat this often. It's one of my favorite things. Mixed up with umeboshi (pickled plum) as a topping for grilled chicken is great.

So how does it work as a soda. Really nice. They didn't make this too sweet and you can really taste the shiso.

Well that's my opinion. What does Yuko say?

"Kirai!"

Nope, she didn't like it.

2 comments:

ichi said...

Hey,

Haha, drinking it now...
What can you say? It's got some shiso flavor but it's also sweet as hell.
I'll stick to Pocari

http://twitter.com/ichimai

M. H. D. said...

Just tried it earlier tonight. I loved it. But, I also loved Pepsi Ice Cucumber. Anyway, I cried out in the aisle of the conbini when I saw this new product. I guess I'm a sucker for Pepsi Japan's weird adventures in soda.